Thursday, February 9, 2012

92 Days--itsa long one.

  Well its that time in Army wife life where I am waiting for the phone call from my husband telling me he's safe and we're one more day closer to having him on my front porch. It's something that you get used to as you get through the deployment further and further, but it still doesn't make the time between phone calls any easier.

  Today was not necessarily bad it was just...odd really. I don't know what really triggered it but I've been on an emotional roller coaster. I watched two of my favorite shows tonight and several parts in both made me bawl like a baby for completely different reasons. I cried because a couple had their first baby, I cried because (on the show) someone received "the knock," I cried because someone was proposed to and declared their love for their one and only, it was just ridiculous. Lol.

  However between the shows I accomplished a lot. I got all my paperwork finalized for school and 100% officially start again on Monday and my classes are "Nutrition" and "Principles of Economics." I think I'll find the Nutrition class interesting and I'll probably hate my Economics class. Lol. But I'm looking forward to getting one more semester finished for my degree. In fact around the time I finish this semester is around the time Shawn could be coming home so it'll be awesome to be even further distracted from how slow these days can sometimes go by. Anyway I also cleaned the house and did laundry, and let the puppies play outside (its been a beautiful 20ish degrees the last couple days), and I washed the bedding and have the whole house smelling like cheesecake because of my scentsy and candles. So with all that stuff its been a good day.

  So..I've accomplished just about everything on my "while he's gone" mental checklist except for one thing and I had a conversation with a girlfriend today about making sure that I check that off as well. So starting tomorrow night I will hopefully begin the journey to accomplishing everything I set out to do this year. Now I'm not going to let many people know about it because I don't need to be asked about it every five minutes by everyone but I'm hoping that it will really complete my "makeover" that has inadvertently taken place this year. :)

  It's crazy to think that we are (officially in 2 days) 75% through this deployment and your homecoming is so incredibly close that I can almost feel it. And two things happen when I think about it. One. I get completely giddy and overjoyed that you'll be home in just three months. Two. I find myself holding my breath. Afraid to get too excited because I need you to keep your head over there and to not let yourself get wrapped up in coming home because that's when people start getting hurt. So its kinda funny because one minute I want to do my happy dance that you'll be home so soon and the next I'm biting my nails because I'm so nervous. So I try to allow myself to do both so that I'm not overly anxious that if you were extended or something crazy like that that I'm not completely beside myself; but that I'm also not rocking myself out of a panic attack every ten minutes either.

  So anyway (<--I feel like I write that a lot.) I read this article today about how to "rock your marriage" or something to that affect, and I loved it. I also went through and counted the things that Shawn and I do or have done and we have (out of 100) consistently done 34 of them. Now some of the things include kids, which we obviously can't do yet, and a couple were like "do right now" kind of things that I couldn't do either. And I'd say that with only being physically with one another for 6 months in the last 2 years that ain't bad. Before I even read the article we were on the phone this afternoon and he's like "You know I really just want to get back to us when I get home. I want to set-up water guns and leave you a note saying to meet me in the backyard for a water war. I want to have you come home to rose petals leading to a bubble bath."

  One of the things that Shawn mentioned while we were on vacation was that he thinks we got complacent before the deployment, basically that we got boring. Lol. Now here is why I'm not as worried about it.

1) We were newlyweds. We. Were. Broke. So it's hard to find something to do in town that doesn't require at least some money.

2) Leading up to a deployment in any household is stressful. Add a new marriage, a new dog that was kind of destructive, a cooped up wife, and being thousands of miles from any friends and family and there were days where we had our blow-ups.

  I do not think we are a complacent couple, do I think we could be more spontaneous? Sure...actually let me scratch that. I need to be more spontaneous. I like everything to have an order (I freak out when the volume control is on a prime number ok?!). So I could probably use some loosening up at times. So here is what our plan is to keep our marriage awesome:

 1) Take a dancing class together. We have always wanted to learn how to dance but never made the time for it so now we are.

  2) Set goals that we can achieve in varying time periods. i.e. in the next year take a vacation to Australia. in the first two months he's home start living a healthier, more active lifestyle. in five months have my car paid off. in five months have his new truck. in a year and a half move to a new post.

  3) Plan to eat at home. At the table. No technology. At least 3 times a week.

  4) Have "love coupons."

  5) Have a weekend getaway every month..even if that means building a fort in the living room with blankets, pillows, and sheets and "camping out."

  Basically just do things that allow us to come closer as a couple and as friends. So..yea. Anyway (<--see there I go again! I need to clap every time I start to write it. You know, cause in speech class if you said "umm" the audience would clap to break you...never mind.) I know this blog was a little long winded and kinda all over the place but that's been my day today so there ya have it.

  But honestly. Do things that make your marriage awesome. I've included the link at the bottom of the page because every marriage should do at least five things off the list to keep the intimacy alive. And I'm not talking about sex here, I'm talking about the part about marriage where you share everything together and you're one another's best friends.

  I love you baby, can't wait to hear your voice and have you home. Sleep sweet my friends.

Making your marriage rock

No comments:

Post a Comment