Thursday, February 23, 2012

78 Days--Reasons I love my soldier.


 Ok so Shawn sent me this awful article last night and he was livid over the author's audacity and blatant disrespect for the military and what they do. I will not post the article link because I don't want to be responsible for any additions to her "view count." However basically she says that all military personnel are either suicidal, depressed, mentally unstable, crippled, or homicidal. She says some other very inappropriate things that I won't get into because this blog is not about that. This blog, in its entirety, is about my love and journey with my American Hero. Shawn. The man. The soldier. My husband.

  Now I considered making this entry in my blog my response to her, however I've decided that someone with that little respect for my husband and I does not deserve a response so instead I'm just going to give my personal reasons as to why I love the man I'm with and why him being a soldier makes me even more proud to be called his wife.


1. Shawn and I fell in love long before the Army ever crossed his mind. I think that time allowed for us to find out a lot about one another without only seeing the other once every couple of months.

2. The Army is what made us get back together in the first place.

3. I know that for at least the next three years any health problems I have are taken care of and I will never have to worry if my husband is going to be laid off next week.

4. My husband joined the Army because he wanted to become a better man. He is willing to sacrifice his life in order for you and I to enjoy the country we are so blessed to live in.

5. I knew when my husband received orders for deployment the potential for PTSD, loss of limbs, disfigurement, etc would be there. But I would never turn my back on the one I love out of fear because, in my opinion, someone who did that would be a coward, and that my friends is something I'll never be.

6. I also understood when I signed my marriage certificate that I was signing up for long, lonely nights waiting for the next phone call from him. And I knew I would live in fear for 365 days of having men in dress blues show up on my doorstep.

7. However seeing my husband for the first time in 8 months made all of #6 completely worth it.

8. If, God forbid, the worse were to happen I know that I have an entire Nation standing behind me to support me in my loss and grief. I also know that the Army will do their best to take care of me as things are put in order.

9. I know moving from state to state (or even across the world) can be difficult on children but I am also confident in knowing that Shawn will be the best father he possibly can and when he can't I will try to fulfill both roles to the best of my ability.

10. I have never been more proud of a person in my life than I am of my husband. There are no adequate words to describe what I felt when I saw him graduate from boot camp or when I saw him board the bus to head to Afghanistan.

  There are a lot more reasons why loving Shawn is right for me, soldier or not. But I will say this, If anyone so much as dares to say something negative about our troops or my soldier to my face you better believe they won't be standing before they're even able to finish the first sentence. I love my husband. I love my country. And I love being an Army Wife. Hooah! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment