Wednesday, November 10, 2010

12 Days, The Jitters, and Alaska Really?!


Well ladies and gentlemen it is 12 days until the wedding and slowly but surely things are falling into place. Tomorrow Lacy, one of my bridesmaids, and I go to handle the rest of the bouquets and the centerpieces which is pretty exciting. RSVPs are coming in, the menu has been set, ceremony timeline put together, etc etc.

It's kinda funny with the wedding so close I have a few of my friends asking me "Are you nervous?" "Do you have the jitters?" And it's odd? maybe, I don't know. But I don't. I'm stressed over everything falling into place properly and for things to happen without anything insane going wrong but where Shawn and I are concerned I'm 100% solid in everything.

The other thing is that people keep reminding me how isolated I'll be in Alaska especially once he leaves and they encourage me to reconsider the option of staying home until he comes home from deployment. And don't get me wrong I don't think it's going to be a cake walk or even easy. But I do think I'm ready for it and I do have a couple things in my favor. 1) During this winter Shawn and I will be together and I'll be able to "learn the ropes" so to speak about the roads, driving conditions, clothing, what to do when I'm snowed in, etc. 2) When Shawn deploys it will be beginning to enter Spring. I'll be able to get out and really get involved outside doing whatever. Hiking, riding (there's a couple stables locally), and I also think I'm going to pick up painting; plus this blog of course. I also plan on getting a job immediately and going to school in one facet or another. Whether it's online, at UAF, or a mix of both I'll be busy with that as well. 3) I'm a pretty personable person and will make friends and they do have groups for the army wives (and husbands.)

Anyway getting off that soapbox. I am so excited about this new life I'm starting. Not many people get a fresh start, in a completely new place, with the person that means the most to them, in one of the prettiest places on earth; and I get that chance. I get to experience all of it. The snow, the ice, the ridiculously cold temperatures, the cuddling by the fireplace, making flavored vodka (thanks to my manager), learning how to cook, buying long underwear to fit under my jeans....in fact Shawn told me today that if I wanted to wear jeans that I needed to buy them in a size that I could fit layers under them....and all I'm thinking during this is there are other warm pants besides jeans?! What is this strange clothing I know nothing about? lol.

Well everyone thanks for checking in and I hope you enjoy the rest of your night or morning depending on when you read this. <3


2 comments:

  1. LL Bean sells flannel lined jeans, I highly recommend you get some. You might want to buy them a little big ( or look at sizing) My son in Missouri loves his on an icy day.

    ReplyDelete